Negotiating a car accident settlement can take weeks, or even months, depending on the severity of the incident. Although you may want to settle quickly, some auto accident injuries just require longer processes, and it can be worth your while to know the advantages and disadvantages to settling a case quickly. A Toledo, Oh car accident attorney can help walk you through the settlement process so you can have all the information that you need to making a decision about when to settle and how to get the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
Why Do Some Auto Accident Settlements Take So Long?
There are a few instances when a settlement case may take a longer period of time to resolve, including:
- If there are legal or factual issues in your case that are left unresolved, such as a determination of fault in the accident.
- If the incident you were involved in was serious, there may be a substantial amount of money at stake in the settlement process. If this is the case, a lengthy process may be necessary to prevent insurance companies from trying to avoid paying you the full amount you are owed.
- If you are still being treated for your injuries, this may stretch out the settlement process. You and your attorney will want to be aware of the full extent of the cost that your long term recovery will take, so you can be fairly compensated
- If the details of your auto accident involve any of the above, you will likely be looking at a longer settlement process. However, waiting this out can get you the car accident settlement that you deserve.
Advantages of Taking a Car Accident Settlement Quickly
Even though there are some situations that prolong a case, there are also many benefits to settling quickly if your attorney advises you that is the best course of action to take. If you settle a case instead of taking the matter to court, there are two main advantages:
- No Court Proceedings: Court proceedings can be a financial and logistical nightmare which you can avoid by settling a case quickly. Going to court can mean sinking hours of your time into legal proceedings, not to mention running the risk of losing the case entirely and going home with nothing.
- Quick Resolution: If you decide to settle quickly for the compensation offered, you will be able to put the issue behind you and get back to your normal life. Instead of waiting weeks, months, or years to settle a court case, you will be able to use the money immediately to pay off the damages caused by the auto accident.
Disadvantages to Settling Quickly
Of course there are disadvantages to settling your auto accident claim quickly, the main one being missing out on taking the issue to court. Although it is true that court proceedings are generally something that people try to avoid, if you feel that your case warrants prosecution, you may miss out on a larger sum of money available if you are successful.
If you agree to settle, you will forfeit your chance to defend yourself in court. Your Toledo, Oh attorney should be able to help you decide which is the best course of action to take.
Ways to Speed Up a Car Accident Settlement
You can’t force an insurance company to settle your claim by a certain date, but there are many things you can do to help speed up the process. Contacting your claims provider can be one way to keep your case on top of the pile, and let your provider know that you are on top of the issue.
You can also try speaking to a supervisor at the insurance company if you are having difficulty with the claims adjuster assigned to you. Most settlements go through an insurance office’s legal department, which can take significant amounts of time if the case is complex. Speaking to multiple people at the company can sometimes help move the process along.
Ultimately, contacting an attorney is the best way to speed up the settlement process. A Toledo, OH car accident attorney can be a valuable tool in helping to speed up negotiations. A good auto accident attorney will work diligently on your behalf to make sure that companies work on your claim
Consult with a Toledo, Ohio Auto Accident Attorney About Your Settlement
If you have been injured in a Toledo, OH auto accident, an attorney from Ohio Car Accident Lawyers can help you seek the settlement you deserve. Our attorneys know that you don’t want this issue hanging over your head for years, and we can give advice for the best way to settle your auto accident. Contact The Ohio Car Accident Lawyers today, and speak to an attorney who will help you get the compensation you deserve as efficiently as possible.